Being a nurse is a challenging career. It’s not for the weak. Nurses work all hours of the day 365 days a year. Below are some things a nurse should do after their shift.
1. Find a bathroom! We all know nurses have golden bladders and rarely have time to use the bathroom during their shift.
2. Rip off those scrubs! Nurses get all sorts of who knows what on their scrubs during their shift. Watch out washing machine, incoming!
3. Breathe! Nurses sometimes get so busy on their shift that they forget to properly breathe. Take a couple of deep breaths, 1…..2…..3…..
4. Leave! I’ve seen many nurses struggle with this one. When your shift is over and all of your charting is done, get out. Get out before you get dragged into helping the next on shift nurse or doing other tasks.
5. Eat! Unfortunately not all nurses have time to eat during their shift. Do you see a reoccurring issue here with not having enough time?
6. Compassion! Your family is your backbone. Nurses work crazy hours to support their family. Even if everybody is asleep when you get home go give him or her a hug. A hug can turn your entire day around.
7. Unwind! Every nurse should do this regardless of what hours you work. Take some time after your shift for some “you” time. Do what ever it takes (tv shows, read a book, workout, etc.) to unwind.
8. Sleep! Being a nurse is not your typical 9-5 job. It’s no easy task and very draining on your body. Get some well-deserved sleep.
I’m sure I missed a few things nurses should do immediately after a shift.