I’ll never forget my first day as a nurse after I passed my NCLEX. It was a very overwhelming day to say the least, but the thing I will never forget is what one of the facilities most veteran Nurses told me. “Good nurses inspire themselves. Great nurses inspire others.”
I have thought about that quote over a thousand times during my nursing career. I have taken a lot of advice from more seasoned veteran nurses and let me tell you, talk to them! They have seen and been through almost everything. Here’s a few words that I haver learned that I feel have made me a better nurse.
1. Everything is hard before it is easy.
2. Nurses are the heart of Healthcare.
3. When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.
4. It is not how much we do – it is how much love we put into the doing.
5. A nurse is not what you do. It is what you are… I am a nurse. It’s not what I do, it’s what I AM.
6. Caring is the essence of Nursing.
7. Have a heart that never hardens, a temper that never tires, a touch that never hurts.
8. Nothing is impossible. The word itself says “I’m possible”!
9. Be strong when you are weak. Be brave when you are scared. Be humble when you are victorious. Be badass everyday.
10. A nurse is one who opens the eyes of a newborn & gently closes the eyes of a dying man. It is indeed a high blessing to be the first and last to witness the beginning and end of life.
11. Never give up on anybody. Miracles happen everyday.